“How can RCDs better involve their communities in conservation?"
- Must be a high school student, grades 9-12, at the time of state conference in November.
- Any prior state winner is not eligible as a contestant.
- Must have an interest in agriculture, resource conservation or the environment.
- Contestants MUST speak at the regional level to compete at the state level.
- Each contestant must fill out and submit an application form to their local Resource Conservation District office.
- The application must include: name, address, phone number, school, grade, age, club affiliations, and a brief statement about interest or involvement in agriculture, conservation or environmental practices. Please see attached application.
- Speaking order will be determined by drawing numbers.
- The speech will be three to five minutes in length, including the salutation and title.
- The speaker shall NOT introduce themselves or state what school they represent. However, mentioning their county or area is allowed.
- Notes will be allowed at the district and regional levels, but not at the state level.
- No props, costumes, or visual aids will be allowed at any level.
- The speech MUST include a link to Resource Conservation Districts.
- There will be three judges and a timekeeper at the district, regional, and state speak-offs.
- It is the Regional Director’s responsibility to include the speak-off on a meeting agenda and to secure regional judges and a timekeeper.
- Judges and timekeepers shall NOT be related, in any way, to contestants.
- At the regional level, directors from districts with contestants CANNOT be judges or timekeepers
- At the state level, directors from districts with contestants CANNOT be judges or timekeepers.
- At the regional level, any questions will be decided by the Regional President. At the state level, questions will be decided by the Speak-Off Committee or the Conservation Education Committee.
All regional winners will receive plaques at the state speak-off. The state speak-off winners will receive:
1st Place - $300
2nd Place -$200
3rd Place - $100
Loma Prieta Resource Conservation District 8010 Wayland Lane, Ste 1D Gilroy, CA Office: 408.847.4171 Fax: 408.847.1521 firstname.lastname@example.org